Present: Mark Meurer, Mark Van Roekel, Bryce Freking, Kathy Ewert, Jeremy Refshaw, John Anderson
Mark Meurer called the meeting to order.
Minutes from the previous meeting on February 25th were approved.
There was no treasurers report
- The Polypay Show at the Midwest Stud Ram Sale in Sedalia Missouri will be held on Tuesday June 15.
- The 2021 NSIP Polypay Online sale will be July 12. Willoughby Livestock will be hosting the sale.
- The Center of the Nation NSIP Sale will be held on July 31 at the Clay County Fairgrounds in Spencer Iowa.
- Advertising Committee Report: A half page advertisement was placed in the Banner promoting the Polypay sale at Sedalia.
- Youth Committee Report: Jeremy is working on a proposal for a youth starter flock program. The proposal will be ready to present at the APSA annual meeting.
- Genomics Committee: Three grants involving genomics and supported by APSA will be submitted this year
- Kathy Ewert reported that the USDA NIFA grant she has been involved with has been submitted. If approved it would require no matching funds from participating producers.
- The AFRI grant that Ron Lewis discussed with the APSA Board was submitted in May.
- The NSIIC grant John Carslon has been working on will be submitted in July.
- Newsletter: The next newsletter will be sent out after the National Meeting
The APSA Annual Meeting will be held July 30 in Spencer Iowa. Producers will be able to attend remotely. This year the topic will be the three grants discussed above, and how they could help Polypay producers improve their genetics.
A Polypay producer reported to Mark Meurer that years ago money had been raised to support a Polypay Jr. Show. This producer suggested that money be made available for a Jr Show in Sedalia. The APSA treasurer found no record of money having been raised for a Jr Show. At the time of this meeting there were no youth registered to show Polypays at the 2021 Midwest Stud Ram Sale.
A futurity sale was discussed for Sedalia. APSA could hold the money for a futurity sale if youth entered the show in the future.
John Anderson, Secretary